A castle dating from the 16th century, this imposing structure stands guard over the south western approach to Inishowen.
Originally part of a defence network that included Inch and Carrickabraghy, this castle was in the control of the O’Dohertys. At that time it would have been surrounded on three sides by water, much of the presence framland being reclaimed in more recent times.
First referred to in a grant of lands to the O’Dohertys in 1587, the English forces occupied it in 1601 – 1602 but when peace was re-established it was granted tothe self-styled Sir Cahir O’Doherty who made it his main residence.
Following the revolt of the O’Dohertys the castle was captured in 1608 and occupied by Thomas Chichester who rebuilt the castle adding another stone building and two houses of timber all within the bawn. Subsequently it was granted to Charles Chichester and was inhabited until as late as 1690.
The present castle is well worth a visit as the towers are still partially intact with musket holes and loops. Stone chambers still remain and there is still one windown in good condition.
Also due to its strategic significance it also commands an impressive view through its evocative stone edificies.